Friday, January 19, 2018

Is it worth it?

     Sometimes that question, "Is it worth it?" comes up in relation to what I go through to create my images.  There doesn't have to be somebody else asking the question.  It is most often this voice from somewhere inside my head asking this, and other questions.

     Self questioning as well as the self doubting are just another facet of producing Art from the artist point of view.  It has become another challenge that needs to be dealt with every time I go to get a camera out.  And it doesn't matter which camera, my 35mm, the 4x5 or the 8x10.  That same voice will start with the Questions...

          Is it worth my time?

          Will it make a good image?

          Is there enough light for a good exposure?

          Do I have enough time to set the camera up and make the image?

          Will anybody understand what I'm trying to say?

          Again,  ...Is it worth it ???


Cottonwoods,  2018-week 03

     When I made this image,  I wasn't all that sure.  If I was to contrast it against what I went through on last weeks outing,  it wouldn't be fair to the image...
     A three quarter mile hike with everything I needed to create the image on my back.  All 40lbs of it, for what?  Not to mention the cold wind, and a late afternoon sun peaking through the clouds...

     What am I doing to myself?  For what...  (I am definitely not a spring chicken any more.)

     The only answer I have ever come up with is YES!  My art is worth all this and more!  If the image isn't quite good enough (and who am I to judge?),  maybe the next one will be!

No comments:

Post a Comment