Sunday, February 27, 2011

My First Platinum Print.



     Yesterday, I finally took that big step and attempted my first Pl/Pt print.  I had the patience and
experience of Jeff Graves to draw on, as well as working in his wonderful darkroom.  I need to
again say,  Thank You Jeff !  ( Please take a look at his work, www.greymatterimages.com )

     Okay, I had problems and it wasn't an automatic success.  No matter how much you read, there
will be something new showing up to surprise you.  The image above is the final exposed sheet
of 4 sheets.  The first two didn't come out at all, and that was the surprise of the day.  It seems
that Tmax 100 sheet film has a UVA blocker in its base for some reason...  Up until very recently
Tmax is all I have used, and that sort of really sucks.  Film change time.  We got nice borders
around the negative, but no image on the inside.  The second one with the same negative with
3 times the exposure, we got a real light image.
     Luckly I also had a couple of the newest negatives with me that I exposed on to Tmax 400
sheet film.  The first one was a touch light, but still a keeper !   I felt great and the days frustration
went away.  The last one for the day ( shown above ) is not only a keeper, but will soon be
matted and framed.

     I have so much to learn about platinum printing, and on top of that I need to learn another
film at the same time.  But, I am hooked !   It is such a beautiful print, that the time spent is time
I am looking forward to spending.

No comments:

Post a Comment